Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Lessons from a millionaire

I read an article this weekend called "Donor built millions on $11 an hour" that you may find interesting. Although the headline is a bit misleading (Mr. Navone seems to have made most of his money investing in rental properties) and his choice of lifestyle is a bit extreme, it offers some valuable lessons for those like me who wish to save for a comfortable retirement.

  • Start saving as early as you can.
  • Work hard for your money.
  • Live frugally.
  • Manage your money and investments carefully.
  • Give to others.
  • Be humble.

Sounds good to me. The quote at the end caught my eye:

"My motto back then without realizing it - and it is now - is that I'll work for the money, and then I want the money to work for me," he said.

Mr. Navone understood this half a century ago. I wonder what it is about our society that so few people understand it today?

No comments: