Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Changes

I did something the other day that I couldn't believe I actually did.

I clipped coupons.

I even put them in a folder so they wouldn't scatter all over the place.

I have become my mother.

We used to make fun of her for years. The running joke in my family is that my mother never bought anything unless it was on sale or she had a coupon. She didn't understand why we teased her; to her, it was just being sensible. And you know what? She was right.

When you're a child of parents who never had much money, you don't understand until later in life why you can't have things other people have. The concept of money is too much to comprehend and selfishness, of which I admit I had a lot of, overcomes you. Your toys aren't good enough, your food isn't good enough, the house you live in isn't big enough, nothing is as good as anything or anyone else. Instead of appreciating what I had, I always wanted more and I was miserable if I didn't get it.

Now I find myself in the same position they were: lower income, lots of bills, and a desire to do whatever it takes to find solutions to my problems. In essence, I need to make changes to my lifestyle, and if that includes clipping coupons, then dammit, that's what I have to do.

No comments: